When one considers ‘unanswered prayers’, the ‘Will of God’ is most important: And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 1 John 5:14
- The Bible tells us how we should pray: After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Matthew 6:9-10
- And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. Matthew 26:39
- And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. Mark 14:36
- Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. Luke 22:42
- For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. 1 Peter 3:17
- Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. 1 Peter 4:19
- And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:27
- Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. John 9:31
Jesus Christ, our Mediator:
- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6
- And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:13
- Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. John 15:16
Possible reasons for unanswered prayers—are the following verses (favorably) applicable to us?
- If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. John 15:7
- And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matthew 21:22 † Do we Trust God? † Do we have Faith in God?
- Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. James 4:3
- And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 1 John 3:22
- For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. James 2:13 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 2:7
- Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: They would (have) none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. Proverbs 1:28-31
- He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination. Proverbs 28:9
- Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard. Proverbs 21:13
- But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? 1 John 3:17
- Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27
- He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. Psalm 145:19
- If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Psalm 66:18
- And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. Mark 11:25
- There they cry, but none giveth answer, because of the pride of evil men; Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it. Although thou sayest thou shalt not see him, yet judgment is before him; therefore trust thou in him. Job 35:12-14 † “SIN separates us from God.”
- Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Colossians 4:2
The Holy Spirit:
- Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; Ephesians 6:18
- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27
Wait upon the LORD:
- Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. Psalm 27:14
- To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. Psalm 40:1
- I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. Psalm 130:5
Download (pdf) & read “Hindrances to Prayer” By Rueben Archer Torrey; 1856-1928; Rev. Torrey was Superintendent of the Moody Bible Institute, an American evangelist, pastor, educator, & writer. The source of this article (excerpts thereof) is from the author’s book titled; ‘How To Pray’ Published in 1900; by The Fleming H. Revell Company. (2,845 words. Estimated read time; 11.66 minutes @ 244 wpm.) † “Six Reasons Prayers Are Not Answered.”—Pastor David Wilkerson.
Lastly, does this verse apply to ALL of us?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. 2 Chronicles 7:14-15
“Unanswered prayers are not unheard prayers.”—J.R. Miller; 1899.