For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:10
HELPING ONE ANOTHER: “I pity from the depths of my heart that Christian who can’t help his brother (or sister) to obtain salvation. He tells us to enter His vineyard and work for Him. I remember I had a picture that I thought a great deal of. It was of a woman coming up out of the water, with both hands around the Cross. I thought it was beautiful.
But one day I was going along the street and I saw in a window another picture. It was of a woman coming up from the waters of death. She had one arm around the Cross, and with the other she was helping the struggling people around her up to where she was. I didn’t think much of the first picture then. I thought it was like a good many Christians. They had both arms tightly clasped around the Cross, and gave no assistance to those struggling around them.
If the Son of God pulls you out of the pit of darkness and puts a new song into your mouth, don’t you hold your peace. He said to the men from whom He cast out the devils, “Go home, and tell your friends what great things the Lord has done for you.”–The Beautiful Tree of Life; Edited by E. E. Comstock; 1892.
What is Comfort? Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary: 1. (v. t.) To make strong; to invigorate; to fortify; to corroborate. 2. (v. t.) To assist or help; to aid. 3. (v. t.) To impart strength and hope to; to encourage; to relieve; to console; to cheer. 4. (n.) Assistance; relief; support. 5. (n.) Encouragement; solace; consolation in trouble; also, that which affords consolation. 6. (n.) A state of quiet enjoyment; freedom from pain, want, or anxiety; also, whatever contributes to such a condition. 7. (n.) A wadded bed quilt; a comfortable.
- And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6: 9-10
- Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- They helped every one his neighbour; and every one said to his brother, Be of good courage. Isaiah 41:6
- But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. Hebrews 3:13
- And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10: 24-25
- We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Romans 15:1
- Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
- But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? 1 John 3:17
- Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27
- What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. James 2: 14-17
- He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise. Luke 3:11
- For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land. Deuteronomy 15:11
- Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Psalm 82:3
- He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again. Proverbs 19:17
- To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Psalm 41:1
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it,” When you have it with you. Proverbs 3:27-28
- Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Matthew 5:42
- And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Luke 6:34-35
- But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. Hebrews 13:16
- And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40