“A great many people say, “Mr. Moody, I would like to know whether I am a Christian or not. I would like to know if I am saved.” The longer I live the more I am convinced that it is one of the greatest privileges of a child of God to know—to be able to say, “I am saved.” The idea of walking through life without knowing this until we get to the great white throne, is exploded. If the Bible don’t teach assurance it don’t teach justification by faith; if it don’t teach assurance it don’t teach redemption.
“The doctrine of assurance is as clear as any doctrine in the Bible.”
How many people in the Tabernacle when I ask them if they are Christians, say, “Well, I hope so,” in a sort of a hesitat’ng way. Another class say, “I am trying to be.” This a queer kind of testimony, my friends. I notice no man is willing to go into the inquiry room till he has got a step beyond that. That class of Christians don’t amount to much.
The real Christian puts it, “I believe; I believe that my Redeemer liveth; I believe that if this building of flesh were destroyed, I have a building not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.” No hoping and trusting with them. It is, “I know.” Hope is assured to the Christian. It is a sure hope; it isn’t a doubting hope.
Suppose a man asked me if my name was Moody, and I said, “Well, I hope so,” wouldn’t it sound rather strange? “I hope it is;” or, “I’m trying to be Moody.” Now, if a man asks you if you are a Christian, you ought to be able to give a reason.”–Rev. D.L. Moody; (1837-1899) 1877.
“Bill & Gloria Gaither – Blessed Assurance (Live)” With Cliff Barrows; 1923-2016. Click here for the history of this hymn.
- But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 1 Peter 3:15
- In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; Titus 1:2
- That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10
- But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Hebrews 3:6
- Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrews 10:23
- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
- The Book of Hebrews; Matthew Henry Commentary. The Doctrine of ‘Assurance’.
Read more here!
“Bill & Gloria Gaither – It Is Well With My Soul [Live]” Click here for the history of this hymn.
“Bill & Gloria Gaither – Just As I Am (Live)” With Rev. Cliff Barrows; 1923-2016 (93) and George Beverly Shea; 1909-2013 (104). Click here for the history of this hymn. *Rev. Billy Graham; 1918-2018 (99).