EARLIEST TREES MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE.
Genesis 1: 11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
THE TREE OF LIFE & THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE.
Genesis 2: 8-9; 8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
ADAM RECEIVES A COMMAND FROM GOD–HE IS NOT TO EAT THE FRUIT FROM THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE.
Genesis 2: 16-17; 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
EVE, THEN ADAM– COMMIT THE FIRST SIN– BY EATING THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT OF THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE–THEY COVER THEIR NAKEDNESS WITH LEAVES FROM A FIG TREE. “The first mention of the Fig-tree occurs in the third chapter of Genesis, where we are told that Adam and Eve “sewed fig-leaves together, and made themselves aprons.” —Lucy Barton; 1856
Genesis 3: 6-7; 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. 7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
Genesis 6: 14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
“Gopher wood” is only mentioned once in the Bible, and any other information, as it would apply to Noah’s era, regarding a “Gopher tree” supposedly does not exist. Some believe the mysterious wood used in the construction of Noah’s Ark possibly came from one of the following trees; the Cyprus, Cedar, Pine, Fir, or even the Ebony tree– while others believe the word “Gopher” simply refers to a construction method used in Noah’s time, (not a type of wood) which would be interpreted today as the word “lamination.” What we do know is– Noah built the Ark, per God’s instructions! The Ark; A painting by Edward Hicks; 1780-1849
A LEAF FROM THE OLIVE TREE PROVIDED NOAH A SIGN INDICATING THE FLOOD WATERS HAD RECEDED.
The Olive Tree had survived the Great Flood:
Genesis 8: 11-12; 11 And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth. 12 And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.
THE MAGNIFICENT OLIVE TREE.
An Olive Tree is one of the heartiest trees in the world. Some Olive Trees have been reported to be over 2,000 years old! William F. Dankenbring states the following in his article on the Olive Tree; “the Hebrew word for olive tree is es shemen, which literally means ‘tree of oil.” and he further states, “Says the Encyclopedia Judaica, “There are trees in Israel estimated to be 1,000 years old–that still produce fruit.”
THE OLIVE TREE AND ITS FRUIT, THE OLIVE.
- If an Olive Tree is cut down, a new tree will sprout from its roots.
- The Olive Tree will flourish in many climates not suitable for most trees.
- The Olive branch is a world-wide symbol for peace.
- The Olive branch is pictured on the back of the U.S. $1.00 bill (The eagle is clutching an Olive branch).
- The Olive is eaten and used to make oils for cooking, religious anointing, lamps and for medicinal purposes.
- Wood from the Olive Tree was used in the construction of Solomon’s Temple. (Doors).
- The Olive Tree is an evergreen, its leaves are silver green all year.
- Soap can be made from Olive Oil.
- 100% Pure Olive Oil is generally said to be the lowest grade of Olive Oil.
- Today, approximately 40% of all Olive Oil is produced as Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a higher quality oil which cannot contain any refined oil. Refined Olive Oil designates that the oil has been chemically treated to neutralize strong tastes (defects) and acidity. Refined Olive Oil is generally considered to be a lower quality Olive Oil.
- Virgin Olive Oil. (Reported to be a higher quality than Refined Oil). This oil was made by the use of physical means and no chemicals were added to the oil.
- “From Hand Picked Olives” This label on the container is said to represent the best quality Olive Oil, as the olives used to make the oil were picked by hand, not by mechanical means. Reportedly, harvesters who use mechanical means to harvest their olives– wait for them to over-ripen– so they can increase their yield.
- “Made From Cold Pressed Olives” Is also said to be representative of excellent quality.
- Spain is the leader in Olive production with 41.2% of the world market, followed by Italy, Greece, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Morocco, Portugal, France and the United States. (California & Hawaii).
Psalms 1: 3 3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.