SPIRITUAL WARFARE: As Christians, we encounter many spiritual battles during our lives. These battles are against a very formidable opponent–Satan. This great enemy is always walking the earth, searching for his next victim.
Our battles are the LORD’s battles–IF we arm ourselves with His armour, He will fight them for us:
Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
What is ‘God’s Armour’?
- Light: Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
- Righteousness: (Breastplate) 2 Corinthians 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; Isaiah 59:17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloak. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
- The Word Of God: (Helmet) Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart
- Salvation, Faith: (Shield) 2 Samuel 22:36 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great. Ephesians 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
“Armour, when ascribed to God, denotes His all-sufficient fitness for, and the methods and means by which he conquers and defends His people, and destroys His enemies, Psal. xxxv. 2. The spiritual armour of the saints consists of the shield of faith, that is, the reconciled God in Christ we believe on, and the grace of faith whereby we believe in Him; the helmet of the hope of salvation; the breastplate of truth applied to, and integrity wrought in us, and of imputed and implanted righteousness; the girdle of truth revealed to us, and of uprightness in us; the shoes of the preparation of the gospel of peace, the sword of inspired scripture; and the artillery of earnest prayer, Eph. vi. 13—20.
With these weapons we are to fight against sin, Satan, and the world; and to defend ourselves from their many and dangerous attacks, Eph. vi. 11. to 20. This armour is called the armour of God; God the Son purchased it for us; God the Holy Ghost applies it, or bestows it on us. Its nature is divine and spiritual. Its success is of God, and by it we fight His battles, Eph. vi. 11.— It is called the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left; it is purchased with the finished righteousness of Christ; and in every case and circumstance must be used with universal candour and holiness of life, 2 Cor. vi. 7.
It is the armour of light: it proceeds from the Father of lights; it is possessed and used by the children of light; it is shining, glorious, and honourable; by the improvement of it we manifest our spiritual light and knowledge, and fight our way to everlasting light, Rom. xiii. 12.
Our ignorance, hatred of God, unbelief, error, profaneness, attachment to following of righteousness by the works of the law and the like, are called Satan’s armour, wherein he trusteth: hereby he secures his interest in our soul, and opposeth the impressions of the word, Spirit, and providence of God, Luke xi. 22.
God’s armour, or weapons of indignation against the Chaldeans, were the Medes and Persians, by whom He executed His just vengeance in destroying that people. The not carnal, but mighty weapons of warfare used by gospel ministers, are earnest prayer, and the faithful preaching of the gospel, for the conquering of our hearts to Jesus Christ, and the reforming our lives according to His law, 2 Cor. x. 4.” Sources: A Dictionary of the Holy Bible; By John Brown; 1807; Illustrations; Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature; by Dr. John Kitto, DD.,1846, A Summary of Biblical Antiquities; Vol. 1; by John Williamson Nevin; 1829.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;
- Psalm 140:7 O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
Matthew Henry Commentary, re: Psalm 140:1-7 “The more danger appears, the more earnest we should be in prayer to God. All are safe whom the Lord protects. If He be for us, who can be against us? We should especially watch and pray, that the Lord would hold up our goings in His ways, that our footsteps slip not. God is as able to keep His people from secret fraud as from open force; and the experience we have had of His power and care, in dangers of one kind, may encourage us to depend upon Him in other dangers.”
- James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- 1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
- Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- Ephesians 6: 10-20 † Ephesians 6:12
The WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD is obtained through continual prayer:
Dear LORD, help us to always be righteous before You. We pray You will give us the wisdom and ability to discern our enemies, and the power to defeat their efforts to interfere with Your purpose for our lives. May we always be able to speak Your words– in each and every battle we encounter. Lord, give us Your full armour and help us to overcome the evil power of Satan, our greatest enemy. We ask this in the name of Jesus–Amen.